Happy new year! Aaaah, it’s 2014, can you believe it? I don’t know about you but this one really snuck up on me. It’s true, that old cliche – every year goes by faster than the last. 2013 was one wild ride and I’ll never forget some of the things that happened.
2013: The Year in Review
- I started this blog exactly one year ago yesterday. It was a time in my life when I desperately needed a creative outlet and a place where my hobbies and interests could intersect. I wanted to create a space where I could share my love of photography, document all the traveling H and I were doing, experiment with web design, and improve my coding skills. It’s been a real labor of love and continues to be my favorite side project. Happy 1st birthday, little blog of mine!
- After considering it for quite some time, I left my full time job managing web & digital marketing for a fashion company based here in LA to go on a much needed sabbatical. I’d gotten so burnt out over the years that it was starting to affect my personal life and that’s when I knew I needed to make a serious change. Learning to let go was one of the most difficult and important things I learned last year but has since led to so much happiness. Best decision ever.
- Inspired by our mutual love of traveling abroad, a close friend of mine and I decided to open our own business. Much of 2013 was spent planning the logistics of it and I am so proud and excited that it will be launching any day now. I’ve alluded to this project here in the past and have been staying pretty hush hush about it, but you’ll know all the details very soon – promise. I can’t wait to share it with you!
- I moved from Culver City to Marina del Rey and the change in scenery has made such a dramatic impact on both mine and H’s lives. We love our new apartment and being close to the beach has brought a lot more nature into our everyday, something I think we both needed. Our place is a lot smaller than the last but has better feng shui and feels much more us. As a result, we seem to get better sleep, enjoy a lot more natural light, cook healthy meals at home more often, and walk/hike/exercise more.
- Shot a lot of film. Every time I think the hassle of shooting film might not be worth it anymore, I get a roll back from the lab and fall in love with the medium all over again.
- Went back to Hawaii, Chicago, and San Francisco
- Discovered Pilates. I’m a believer now. I love that it’s a low impact mat workout that still makes you sweat like crazy.
- Ate less meat. This one happened unintentionally and gradually over the year. The more I experimented with cooking at home, the less meat we ate. It’s easier and cleaner to cook with vegetables, beans, tofu, etc so that eventually became the majority of our meals. A happy accident. I’d like to continue this change into the new year.
- Road tripped across the US with my childhood best friend. The most wonderful bonding experience.
- Spent Christmas break in the Pacific Northwest. This was my first Christmas away from family but we made it festive anyway. We took a train back to Seattle from Vancouver on Christmas day and there was something really special and fitting about passing through the snow covered farmlands of Washington.
So, there you have it! A look back at 2013′s most noteworthy memories. It was a great year, one of the best yet and I feel energized and optimistic about all that awaits in 2014. Wishing you a happy new year with all the hope and possibility that comes with it. Thank you for reading and following along, the connections I’ve made with all of you this past year has been my favorite part of blogging. Cheers!